Sunday, October 16, 2011

the spirit escapes - pierre reverdy

The Spirit Escapes
by Pierre Reverdy (tr. Michael Benedikt)


So many books; A temple, whose thick walls are built of books.  And inside, there where I had entered without quite knowing how, or without knowing where, I was suffocating; the ceilings were grey with dust.  Not a sound.  And all the great ideas moved no more; they slept, or were dead.  It was so hot, so dark in this sad palace.
   With my nails I scratched at the paneling and, bit by bit, I made a hole in the right-hand wall.  It became a window and the sun practically blinded me but could not prevent me from looking out through it.
   It was the street out there but now the palace had vanished.  Already I was confronting a different dust and other walls surrounding the sidewalk.


L'esprit sort

Que de livres ! Un temple dont les murs épais étaient bâtis en livres ! Et là-dedans, où j’étais entré on ne saura comment, je ne sais par où, j’étouffais ; le plafond étais gris de poussière. Pas un bruit. Et toutes ces idées si grandes ne bougent plus ; elles dorment, ou sont mortes. Il fait dans ce triste palais si chaud, si sombre !

De mes ongles j’ai griffé la paroi et, morceau à morceau, j’ai fait un trou dans le mur de droite. C’était une fenêtre et le soleil qui voulait m’aveugler n’a pas pu m’empêcher de regarder dehors.

C’était la rue mais le palais n’étais plus là. Je connaissais déjà une autre poussière et d’autres murs qui bordaient le trottoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment